9.28.2011

Hiram Walker Original Cinn

Hiram Walker Original Cinn
Cinnamon Schnapps
45% Alcohol (90 Proof)
With all the great drinks I've had over the years, I've always had a special place in my heart for cinnamon schnapps.  Perhaps it was all the cinnamon gum I had growing up, or the massive amounts of cinnamon gummy bears I stuffed my face with as a child.  Regardless, I love the stuff with an odd fascination, despite the fact that they tend to be over-the-top sugary, burn like crazy, and are artificially flavored (ie. Firewater, Goldshlager, Dekuyper's Hot Damn, Aftershock, etc.).  During my late high school/early college days (shhh, don't tell anyone!), high proof cinnamon schnapps were my drink of choice, something I was known for and always brought to parties.  

As I got older, I started drinking more craft brews, bourbon, and scotch, but without fail, there was always a bottle of cinnamon schnapps in my liquor cabinet.  On an icy cold winter day, nothing warms the soul like high proof cinnamon schnapps.  It's the perfect drink before or after shoveling snow, building a snow cave, snow skiing, or heck, just walking from your car to the house in the winter.  Ha, okay, maybe that last one is pushing it.

So, when I got a chance to try Hiram Walker's Original Cinn (clever name), a 90 Proof cinnamon schnapps, I got excited.  This bad boy is made with All Natural Flavors, which immediately sets it apart.  It pours an amber brown, unlike the thick cherry red so commonly found among other cinnamon schnapps.  It smells of cinnamon, obviously, but a more well-rounded, natural cinnamon.  You sip and get a deep, rich cinnamon followed by toasty, warm vanilla (Mexican vanilla?) and hints of caramelization in the finish.  It is full of cinnamon for sure, but not near the fiery burn and sugar overload I was expecting.  This is a much more grown-up sophisticated cinnamon schnapps than the usual, which is a very good thing.  Definitely a great buy, especially fitting for the Fall and Winter.

Drink This: if you want a well-above-average cinnamon schnapps at a great price.
Don't Drink This: if you don't like cinnamon... obviously.  But, if YOU DO like cinnamon, try mixing this with hot cider, or vodka, or Hiram Walker's new Caramel Apple liqueur (click the link to see the review), or heck just take it as shots.  I don't care, it's good any way you have it! 

AND, last but not least, go enter Hiram Walker's Fall Cocktail contest on their website or their Facebook page.  Recipes made with Original Cinn count!  Tell 'em Bob sent you!

Cheers!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Affiliates

.