9.30.2011

Tequila Partida Reposado


Tequila Partida Reposado
100% Blue Agave
40% Alcohol (80 Proof)
I gotta say, Partida makes some mighty good tequila.  I previously reviewed their Tequila Blanco, the unaged "silver" tequila in their line, which is a crisp, extra-refreshing agave-centric tequila.  Very, very good stuff.  But now, I am looking at their Reposado, which of course translates as "rested," referring to the barrels in which it rests for six months.  This aging turns it from a crisp, clean silver tequila into a more mature, subtle beauty... like my wife.  Don't tell her I said that.  Only joking.  It's her birthday in two days, so I felt compelled to make a joke.  I'm a sweet guy like that.  She's not a "subtle beauty," she's gorgeous.  But the mature part? Yeah, maybe not.  Okay, that's it, I'm sleeping on the couch for sure...     

So anyway, back on topic... In my review of the Blanco, I spoke about how they make this delicious stuff, so go check it out... seriously, go read it.  I also talked about how many people think of tequila only as a shooter, not a sipping drink like bourbon or scotch.  Well, this Reposado is no different, it is definitely a beverage to be sipped.  And sip it I shall. 

Tequila Partida Reposado pours a slightly yellowed gold color and smells of the same clean, pure agave found in the Blanco, but with some oak, a touch of spice, and very mellow bit of smoke.  You sip and get smooth, silky agave, citrus, mellow vanilla, and some black pepper in the finish, with only a very mild burn.  This is a very well-balanced, tasty tequila.  I could drink this stuff neat every week and not get sick of it.  I can only imagine what kind of tasty, deceptively strong margarita this could make...

Here's a cocktail recipe for you people that are curious:
Yerba Buena
- 2oz Partida Reposado
- 8 to 10 Mint Sprigs
- ½ oz Fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2oz Agave Nectar
- Ginger Beer
Muddle Mint, Lime juice & Agave Nectar in a highball glass. Add ice to fill. Add Tequila & top with Ginger Beer. Stir with bar spoon. Garnish with Mint sprig & lime wheel.
Recipe adapted from Donna Scala of Bistro Don Giovanni in Napa California.

Drink This: if you want a well-balanced, very drinkable Reposado tequila.  This is best served neat or on the rocks, but hey, I'm 100% certain it would make an amazing cocktail if you chose to make one...
Don't Drink This: if you don't like tequila.  It's tequila that tastes like tequila.  Very, very good tequila, but it's still tequila.  Tequila haters beware.  But personally, I love it.  I can only wait to taste what another year in the barrel will do (Anejo...)...

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Affiliates

.