9.23.2012

Alamos Torrontes

Alamos
Torrontes
Origin: Salta, Argentina
Vintage: 2009

I have a weird obsession with wines from Argentina, particularly Malbec.  

There's something intriguing about their rustic nature.  Something I find much more interesting than a refined, classic Italian or French wine.  
Maybe it's their unpredictability.  
Sometimes they are amazing and sometimes they are downright off and/or dirty tasting.  
Perhaps the thrill of not knowing if it will be great or awful is what makes them interesting.  I'm not sure, but that's not really the point here.  I'm just rambling and psychoanalyzing myself.

So, this is the 2009 Alamos Torrontes.  If you're unfamiliar, Torrontes is a variety of white grape from Argentina.  Technically there are three distinct varieties of Torrontes grapes, yet this bottle does not say which particular one it is, so perhaps it is a blend.  

The 2009 Alamos Torrontes pours a... well, look at the picture up top.  No need for me to describe what you can see! Ha!  Anyway, it smells of grapefruit, lemon, apricot, and a bit of floral.  It tastes very bright, lemony, and tart, with hints of white tea and herbs.  There is definitely lingering citrus and tartness in the finish and aftertaste.  

It is certainly interesting, and I'm certainly glad it's not overly sweet like many white wines.

Drink This: if you want an interesting and different white wine.  This is easily one of the better white wines I've had in months, and I'm usually a red wine type of guy.
Don't Drink This: if you're looking for a super sweet or super dry white wine.  This is somewhere between the two extremes, but I definitely enjoyed it.  I will be picking up another bottle for sure...

Cheers!        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Affiliates

.